Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


14 November 2012

Lucas and Hunter on target

Bristol Rovers 3
Lucas (17), Hunter (40 & 70)

Staines Town 0

Rovers went through to the third round of the FA Youth Cup this evening, beating Staines Town 3-0 at the Memorial Stadium in a hard fought and entertaining match.

The youngsters scored three well taken goals through Jamie Lucas and Shaquille Hunter (2).

The visitors enjoyed a good deal of possession after Rovers took the lead, but were unable to convert that possession into chances and didn’t really trouble goalkeeper Matt Macey in the Rovers goal.

Both sides started the game at a high tempo and play was quickly switched from one end to the other.

Shaquille Hunter curled a free kick just wide for Rovers while at the other end Cyril Ocansey hit a shot wide of the target and Macey saved comfortably from Erivalodo Felix.

Rovers almost took a tenth minute lead but goalkeeper Charlie Hyam made an excellent save from Alefe Santos.

Josh Southway went close with a volley that just cleared the bar as Rovers began to assert themselves on the game and they took a 17th minute lead with a well worked goal.

Sam Kamara found Jamie Lucas with a slide rule pass and the striker calmly slotted the ball past Hyam from 12 yards.

However the visitors responded well to going behind and continued to attack with pace, causing Rovers a few problems.

It took a while for Rovers to create another opportunity and when they did it was the same combination that had produced the goal. Once again Kamara found Lucas in space and the striker was only denied a second goal by Hyam, who pulled off a fine save.

Rovers appeared to up the tempo again and Laurent Mondo went close with one effort while Hyam saved from Alefe Santos.

The keeper, though, was unable to prevent the second goal of the evening, scored by Hunter with an exceptionally powerful drive that gave the shot stopper no chance at all.

Staines went close with their first attack pf the second half when Macey touched a cross from the left to the back post where Qaseem Sotonwa headed over the bar.

Rovers might have extended their lead when Lucas broke clear, but he delayed his shot and the ball was cleared at the expense of a corner. 

Santos then hit a shot into the side netting and as Rovers continued to enjoy a great deal of possession Hyam saved another effort from Lucas.

The keeper was called into action again shortly afterwards when he did well to hold a shot from Dominic Thomas.

The third goal that Rovers had been threatening finally arrived on 70 minutes and was worth the wait.

A superb lay off from Lucas found Hunter on the right and the youngster stepped up a gear, going past full back Joshua Olufemi with ease before rifling a shot past Hyam.

Staines responded straight away and Macey had to be at his best to touch a close range effort from substitute Harrison Wood over the bar.

However Rovers took control in the final stages and ran out deserved winners without being able to add any further goals.

Rovers: Matt Macey, Josh Southway, Tom Lockyer, Trey Anderson, Danny Greenslade (Connor Finn, 78), Alefe Santos, Laurent Mondo, Sam Kamara, Shaquille Hunter, Jamie Lucas (Aaron Ward-Baptiste, 78), Dominic Thomas (Jay Malpas, 78)

Substitutes: Liam Vaulters, Chad Douglas

Yellow Card: Dominic Thomas

Staines Town: Charlie Hyam, George Berry, Joshua Olufemi, Qaseem Sotonwa, Jack Harman, Jeremy Boakye (Vaslilis Kardis, 66), Oluwole Akinsanya, Erivaldo Felix, Danny Bassett, Cyril Ocansey (Harrison Wood, 60) Naseem James

Substitutes: Billy Ross, Khader Amir, Micah Gray, Vasilis Kardis

Rovers now face an away tie against either Coventry City or Oldham Athletic.

Advertisement block