Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


8 December 2012

Rovers 0-1 Dagenham

Bristol Rovers sunk to another defeat against Dagenham and Redbridge at the Memorial Stadium this afternoon.

A single goal from Sam Williams in the first half, following a spell of pressure from Rovers, was enough to give the visitors all three points.

The Daggers defended well, and showed a good determination, which was enough to see them secure the win.

Mark McGhee made three changes to the side that lost 2-0 to Wycombe last Saturday.

Joe Anyinsah returned from injury to partner Tom Eaves up front, whilst Fabian Brogahmmer and Oli Norburn came into the midfield replacing the injured Matt Gill and the suspended Matt Lund.

Sam Walker made the first save of the afternoon when Sam Williams took a shot from distance, then at the other end Fabian Broghammer floated in a good cross that was taken by goalkeeper Chris Lewington.

Rovers enjoyed a spell of pressure, with Oli Norburn having an effort on target, before Dave Clarkson missed an easy chance to give Rovers the lead right in front of goal.

As has happened many times already this season, a period of pressure from Rovers led to a goal for the opposition, as Dagenham took the lead against the run of play.

Matthew Saunders crossed the ball in to Williams who slammed the ball into the top right of the net from close range.

As Rovers sought to get themselves back into the game Broghammer had a shot which was deflected wide by Abu Ogogo.

The Daggers were then awarded a free kick on the edge of the area, but Michael Spillane fired his shot over the bar.

Eaves found Clarkson with a pass across the field, but Clarkson’s side footed shot whizzed just past the right post.

Rovers were then awarded a free kick on the edge of their area after Eaves was tugged back. The striker stepped up to take kick, but his effort hit the wall, with his follow up shot having the same fate.

Mark McGhee made a substitution early into the second half, with Eliot Richards coming on the replace Oliver Norburn.

Despite Rovers’ efforts to get back into the game, there were few clear cut chances for either team in the second half.

Rovers’ danger man Broghammer tested Lewington with a dangerous header, which he could only parry, but he was able to easily save from Clarkson’s follow up shot.

Luke Williamson had a side footed shot from a corner that flew into the side netting from close range.

A header from Garry Kenneth forced a good reaction save from Lewington, who was only able to punch the ball away, but Rovers could not do anything with the loose ball.

Tom Parkes fired a fierce shot over the bar as Rovers pushed men forward.

Rovers then made two more substitutions, with Seanan Clucas coming on to replace Kenneth, who had taken a kick to the knee, and minutes later Derek Riordan came on for Anyinsah who was starting to struggle with his calf.

Unfortunately the fresh legs were not able to make an impact in the final ten minutes, and despite a drilled shot from Eliot Richards and a long range effort from Eaves, Rovers were not able to get back into the game.

Team: Sam Walker, Danny Woodards, Garry Kenneth (Seanan Clucas), Guy Branston, Jim Paterson, Fabian Broghammer, David Clarkson, Oliver Norburn (Eliot Richards), Tom Parkes, Tom Eaves, Joe Anyinsah (Derek Riordan).

Substitutes: Michael Smit,. Lee Brown, Alefe Santos, Conor Gough

Dagenham: Chris Lewington, Luke Wilkinson, Oluwafemi Ilesanmi, Scott Doe, Michael Spillane, Medy Elito (Jake Caprice), Matthew Saunders, Luke Howell, Abu Ogogo, Sam Williams, Jake Reed (Brian Woodall). 

Substitutes: Jordan Seabright, Josh Wakefield, Josh Scott, Kevin Maher, Gavin Hoyte, 

Referee: Steven Rushton 

Advertisement block