Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 August 2012

Goals for Wayne Brown and Matt Harrold

Paulton Rovers 1

Lacey (8)

Bristol Rovers 2

Brown (W) (22), Harrold (50)

The Rovers of Bristol beat their Paulton namesakes at Winterfield Road courtesy of goals from Wayne Brown and Matt Harrold.

As a fitness exercise it was another good workout for Mark McGhee’s side as they get closer to the big kick off.

Garry Kenneth and Rogvi Baldvinsson both started the match though both looked a little bit short of match fitness.

Lee Brown skippered a strong lineup in this testimonial match for Paulton’s Dan Cleverley.

After some neat approach work, and having survived one or two crunching tackles, Rovers fell behind on eight minutes when Ben Lacey’s cross from the left deceived Conor Gough and ended up in the back of the 



David Clarkson had a chance to equalise for Rovers, but lost his footing as he was about to shoot and gopalkeeper Kyle Phillips gratefully gathered the loose ball.

There was another chance for the home side on fifteen minutes when James Billing headed just over following a free kick on the right.

Ollie Norburn saw a shot, following a free kick, blocked before Wayne Brown levelled the scores, with a low drive, from just outside the area, on 22 minutes.

Matt Harrold then chested the ball down into Clarkson’s path but his fellow striker hit a shot straight at Phillips.

With five minutes of the half remaining, Cleverley tried a curling shot from the edge of the area that drifted just wide of the upright.

Rovers were ahead within five minutes of the restart when Matt Harrold met Clarkson’s cross from the right and powered a header past Phillips.

Within two minutes the home side almost drew level when Gough spilt a free kick taken by Craig loxton. However the keeper touched away Cleverley’s follow up effort and Garry Kenneth completed the clearance.

Harrold went close to adding his second goal of the night but Phillips comfortably gathered his close range header.

With ten minutes of the half gone Rogvi Baldinsson, who had shown some nice touches in his first appearance, made way for Tom Lockyer.

Lee Brown hit a shot straight at Phillips as Rovers looked to increase their lead, but the home side hit back and a powerful drive from Kris Miller was only just wide of the target.

Lee Brown went again went close to scoring and was only denied by substitute goalkeeper Scott Lewis, who touched his curling free kick over the bar.

For all their possession, though, Rovers were unable to increase their lead.

Rovers: Conor Gough, Michael Smith, Garry Kenneth, Rogvi  Baldvinsson (Tom Lockyer, 55),  Lee Brown, Wayne Brown (Jim Paterson, 58), Oliver Norburn (Ellis Harrison, 67), Seanan Clucas, Shaquille Hunter (Joe Anyinsah, 63), Matt Harrold (Mitch Harding, 82), David Clarkson (Eliot Richards, 58)

Substitutes: Ross Staley, Jordan Goddard, Matt Macey

Paulton: Kyle Phillips (Scott Lewis, 70), Stuart Tovey, Jack Allward (Lee Davidson, 34), Marcus Mapstone Dave Stone, 67), Scott Brice, Josh Jeffries, Craig Loxton, Kris Miller (Ryan Gay, 87) James Billing (Nick McCootie, 69) Dan Cleverley (Dan Cottle, 89), Ben Lacey (Sean Seavill, 46)

Attendance: 553

Advertisement block