Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:30 (UK)

Buy tickets
08 September 2018 Venue Memorial Stadium Attendance

Kick off 13:30 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Focus On: Plymouth Argyle

7 September 2018

by Gerry Prewett

Traditional West County rivals Bristol Rovers and Plymouth Argyle face off against one another in an early kick-off on Saturday. 

Last season Argyle had a terrible first half to the season and a spectacularly good second-half. Despite having beaten our city rivals in the Carabao Cup the Devon team have accumulated just two points from their six games. This poor run of form included a 5-1 home thrashing by Peterborough.

Last weekend as Rovers were drawing 1-1 at Shrewsbury, the Pilgrims went down to a 3-0 loss at Portsmouth. Argyle lined up in a 4-1-4-1 formation and were under early pressure as on-loan goalkeeper Matt Macey did well to punch clear an inswinging free-kick from Gareth Evans. Moments later, Evans unleashed a fierce rising shot which was tipped over the crossbar by Macey.

Ronan Curtis put the home side ahead in the 22nd minute when he was played in by Jamal Lowe before slotting his effort past Argyle goalkeeper Matt Macey. It was unselfish play from Lowe, who could have chosen to shoot but spotted Curtis was positioned better.

Fratton Park was rocking and so was the Argyle defence as striker Oli Hawkins almost made it 2-0 shortly before the half-hour mark. Evans played the ball outside to Hawkins, who cut back inside and aimed a shot for the far corner of the net, only for Macey to push it wide for a corner.

There was a double Argyle substitution at the start of the second half as Graham Carey and Ruben Lameiras replaced Conor Grant and Yann Songo’o.

Portsmouth also used their final two permitted substitutes with defenders Christian Burgess and Nathan Thompson sent on for Anton Walkes and Jack Whatmough. Argyle changed to a 4-3-3 formation with Carey and Lameiras either side of Freddie Ladapo.

Lowe doubled Pompey's lead early on in the second half after getting on the end of an exquisite cross from ex-Gas Lee Brown to nod the ball home in the 63rd minute.

It was far too easy for the hosts as Joe Riley failed to close down Brown and Lowe beat Ashley Smith-Brown to the ball.

Portsmouth went further ahead in the 69th minute with a second goal of the game from Curtis and it was gifted to him by Argyle. Carey carelessly gave away the ball and Curtis brushed past the challenge of Sawyer before firing high into the net. Curtis finished the rout six minutes later by shrugging off Gary Sawyer before beating Macey with a lethal strike from a narrowing angle.

Controversial Argyle Boss earned himself the nick-name of ‘the poor man’s Jose Mourinho’ from Pompey fans with his post match comments, “The game changed in the first half with a refereeing decision,” said Adams, “It was a stonewall penalty on Freddie Ladapo, and there were two other claims in the first half. If they are given then it is a different ball game away from home. The advantage then went to Portsmouth and they got the goals after that.

“The decision in the first half was a clear penalty kick. From the great view I had, I saw Freddie put the ball over the goalkeeper, and the goalkeeper went right into him. Freddie got a touch on it and got absolutely smashed by the goalkeeper. Stuart O’Keefe got smashed by the goalkeeper as well, and another with Sarcevic could have been a penalty kick. They were three penalty claims, the first one was a stonewaller."

Like Rovers, Argyle were founder members of the Third Division in 1920-21 season. They finished one spot below Rovers at the end of that season in 11th place. The first ever League meeting between the clubs took place on 23rd April 1921 when goals by Ellis Crompton and Billy Palmer secured a 2-0 victory in front of a 14,000 Eastville crowd. The return match saw Plymouth win 2-1 a week later, Crompton scoring for Rovers again and Jimmy Logan notching two for Argyle. It was the first of 10 games in which Argyle remained undefeated against Rovers.

Looking back over the history of games there have been some real high scoring encounters. The Boxing Day fixture of 1973 kept a 22,353 crowd on their toes as goals by Stuart Taylor, Alan Warboys (2) and Bruce Bannister swept a rampant Rovers to a 4-2 win.

Going back even further to 14th October 1961 a Bobby Jones double, Geoff Bradford and Peter Hooper goals made the score 4-3 to Rovers. This provided some sort of revenge for Argyle’s 5-2 win, just 11 months prior.

It’s also worth remembering that “Goodnight Irene” was first heard on 4 November 1950 in a game between Rovers and Argyle. Rovers came back from being 1-0 down at half time to score 3 goals. The Rovers fans changed the words of the current hit by the Weavers to ‘Goodnight Argyle”

On 8 March 2014 a 7,799 crowd saw Rovers run out 2-1 victors. It only took the home side 6 minutes to find the back of the net through loan striker Chris Beardsley. Michael Smith delivered a long flat throw into the Argyle penalty area to Kaid Mohamed at the near post. Mohamed flicked the ball across the 6-yard box to find an unmarked Beardsley who nodded in from close range.

The home side were made to pay for their missed chances as just before half time Plymouth drew level. A Luke Young free kick was palmed wide by Mildenhall but only to the head of Maxime Blanchard. Blanchard headed the ball back across the Rovers 6-yard box and Neal Trotman jumped highest to make it 1-1.

Rovers looked the more likely to break the deadlock and did on the 79th minute through the head of Kaid Mohamed. Further pressure from down the Rovers left allowed Lee Brown to deliver a pinpoint ball to the far post and an unmarked Mohamed restored Rovers advantage.

Prior to that game The Mem had been a happy hunting ground for the Pilgrims; they had collected maximum points in the previous three League encounters, the last two of which had seen the Devon team record 3-2 wins. In 2015-16 both fixtures ended up 1-1.

Last season Rovers won an ill-tempered game 2-1; the hosts took the lead when Ellis Harrison's low cross from the right found Rory Gaffney in space inside the box and the striker fired home from 12 yards.

Argyle started the second half well and equalised when former Gas striker Nathan Blissett found the top corner with a well-taken right-foot shot from an angle. But Billy Bodin hit the winner when he met Gaffney's low cross from the left and his fierce first-time shot with his left foot gave Kyle Letheren no chance.

Argyle were reduced to 10 men two minutes later when Gary Miller was shown a straight red card for a foul on Joe Partington.

Argyle defender and former Rovers player, Gary Sawyer is ready and willing to continue playing in central defence for Plymouth Argyle if manager Derek Adams wants him to. The 33-year-old club captain has spent much of his career at left-back, both in his two spells with the Pilgrims but also elsewhere.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Bristol Rovers 0-0 Plymouth Argyle

8 September 2018

Rovers played out a goalless draw with Plymouth Argyle at the Mem early on Saturday afternoon.

The Gas crafted a handful of chances, with the closest opportunity coming via a sweetly timed volley on the hour mark from Sam Matthews that required an admirable diving save from Matt Macey. 

Matthews again tested Macey with a powerful drive from inside the area that forced a stop from the Plymouth 'keeper.

At the other end, on his first start at the Mem, Jack Bonham produced an extraordinary save to prevent Carey from breaking the deadlock, with a reaction save from close-range keeping the scores level in the final stages, as the game ended with deadlock intact.

There were no less than five changes included in Darrell Clarke's line-up for the visit of Plymouth to the Mem. The headline movement in the starting XI was the inclusion of Michael Kelly and Gavin Reilly - as the Scottish duo both made their first EFL League One starts for Rovers.

As the opening exchanges played out, it was the home side that created the first significant move of the game. Twenty yards out from goal, Sam Matthews waited patiently for a looping ball to drop to his feet before sending a laced effort that didn't dip enough to hit the target.

Rovers began proceedings brightly and when Daniel Leadbitter found room to exploit down the right, the defender managed to drift an early low cross into the Plymouth area. The delivery bounced around the area, before falling to Kyle Bennett, but the winger couldn't adjust his body to shape an effort towards goal.

It was Bennett that produced the first shot on target midway through the opening forty-five minutes, as the winger ventured forward with the ball at his feet and managed to wangle his way inside. As a path to goal presented itself, Bennett sweetly struck a right-footed shot that had to be clawed away by Matt Macey. 

There were anxious moments for Rovers as the first-half progressed, as a curling cross from Graham Carey flashed across the face of goal and required a fingertip save from Jack Bonham to prevent the delivery creeping into the far corner. 

After the break, it was again Rovers that crafted the first chance of the half. It was a series of neat touches in midfield that set the wheels in motions for a quick break forward, as Gavin Reilly was set free down the right. The striker had time to asses the options, before driving a low cross into the area that sailed too close to Macey.

There were encouraging signs for Rovers, as an intricate piece of build-up play on the fringes of the Plymouth area led to Sam Matthews venturing on a winding run into the penalty area. The winger danced away from numerous tackles, before directing a floated cross that missed the contingent of Rovers players inside the six-yard box.

It was down the right where Rovers found the most joy - as again Leadbitter was able to make the most of ample room to sprint deep into the final third. Deciding to halt his cross, the right-back darted to the byline before knocking a pulled back pass into the mix that was gratefully clutched by Macey.

The chances were beginning to get more clear cut for Rovers, as Matthews dugout out a beautifully struck volley on the hour mark that forced Macey into making a flying save to push the attempt wide of goal.

With the contest opening up, it was a bright demonstration of link-up play between Payne and Reilly that led to the Scottish forward getting a slight glimpse a goal when breaking through to latch onto Payne's pass. Reilly managed to hold off the onrushing defender, but with the angle to goal closing rapidly his effort nestled into the side netting.

The first substitution for Rovers saw Tom Nichols was introduced, at the expense of Gavin Reilly.

With the clock ticking, it was Matthews again who opened a chance, as the winger broke into the Plymouth box after playing a lofted one-two with Payne, before powerfully striking towards goal, only to be denied by a reaction save from Macey that deflected the ball wide.

There were chances for Plymouth to strike, as a series of corners and crosses caused issues in the Rovers penalty area. Once such delivery fell to Graham Carey at point blank range, as the attacking midfielder drove a shot towards goal that was met with a simply incredible stop by Bonham from close range.

The final changes for Rovers saw a welcome return to action for Stuart Sinclair - but neither side could forge a late chance to threaten the deadlock.

Rovers XI: Jack Bonham (GK), Daniel Leadbitter (83' Tom Broadbent), James Clarke, Tony Craig, Michael Kelly, Ollie Clarke (c), Chris Lines, Kyle Bennett, Sam Matthews (78' Stuart Sinclair), Gavin Reilly (67' Tom Nichols), Stefan Payne.

Subs: Adam Smith (GK), Tom Broadbent, Stuart Sinclair, Ed Upson, Alex Rodman, Tom Nichols, Alex Jakubiak.

Plymouth XI: Matt Macey (GK), Joe Riley (45' Scott Wooton), Gary Sawyer (c), Yann Songo'o, Ryan Edwards, Jamie Ness (83' Ryan Taylor), Antoni Sarcevic, Graham Carey, Niall Canavan, Conor Grant (60' Joel Grant), Freddie Ladapo.

Subs: Ryan Taylor, Ruben Lameiras, Stuart O'Keefe, Joel Grant, Kyle Letheren, Ashley Smith-Brown, Scott Wootton.

Advertisement block

Ticket News

Ticket Information: Plymouth Argyle

3 September 2018

Fans are advised to purchase tickets in advance of Saturday's game against Plymouth Argyle at the Mem, to avoid queues.

We are anticipating a busy afternoon at the Ticket Office and recommend purchasing ahead online; this is the easiest option.

You can also purchase tickets at the Mem from our Superstore - which is open 9am-5pm throughout the week.

Supporters are reminded that the kick-off time for Saturday's game is at the earlier time of 1:30pm.

If you do end up buying tickets on the day, we'd like to remind you to do this at the Ticket Office situated outside the ground between the North Terrace and West Stand.

We also advise getting to the ground early to avoid queueing for your ticket and would like to point out that we cannot accept cash on the turnstiles.

Online tickets for this fixture will be available until midnight on Friday, 7th September.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account