Skip to main content

Bristol Rovers FC Player Profiles

  • 1

UPDATED 03:59 3rd January 2013

Experienced goalkeeper Steve was one of three signings made on New Year's Day 2013.

He made his debut that same day, just hours after meeting his new team mates for the first time. Steve joined us on an emergency loan which was eventually extended until the end of the season.

His form was such that he was offered, and accepted, a permanent deal with the club in the summer of 2013.

Tall and agile, Mildenhall had previously played against Rovers in Swindon’s goalless draw in March 2001, in two League games and an FA Cup tie with Grimsby and in three League fixtures with Southend.

A teenage debutant for Swindon at Tranmere in January 1997, where he played up front as a second half substitute, Mildenhall was Player of the Year for the Robins before enjoying a long career at Notts County.

It was during this time that he scored from a free kick in the 4-3 League Cup victory at Mansfield in August 2001, an occurrence which was used on the 'What Happened Next?' clip on the BBC’s 'A Question of Sport'.

After a broken finger ended his spell at Oldham, he replaced Anthony Williams at Grimsby, where he was an ever present in a season which culminated in defeat to Cheltenham Town in the play off final at the Millennium Stadium.

Twelve months later, Mildenhall suffered the same agony again as, having defeated Nottingham Forest unexpectedly in the semi finals, Yeovil lost 2-0 to Blackpool at Wembley; he was, though, named as the Glovers’ Player of the Year for 2006/07.

Man of the Match as under rated Southend drew 1-1 with Chelsea in an FA Cup tie at Stamford Bridge in January 2009, he later missed the 2010/11 season before making his Millwall debut at Southampton in August 2011.

In 2013/14 he reached the milestone of appearing in his 400th league game.

He has also gained a BA Honours course in professional Sports Writing and Broadcasting at Staffordshire University and is currently taking his coaching certificates.

Having lost his first team place towards the end of the 2014/15 campaign, he was on the bench for the Promotion Play Off Final and replaced Will Puddy in the final minute of extra time and was in goal for the penalty shootout.

After appearing in the first two games of last season, it looked as though his Rovers career might be over as two loan keepers came and went before Christmas. However when Will Puddy was injured after 50 minutes in his first game back in the side, Steve was recalled and played an important role in the club’s successful run in the second half of the season that led to another promotion.

Steve signed a new deal in the summer that keeps him at the club for the current season.

HOME SHIRT SPONSOR: Karen and Carolyn